Thursday, May 20, 2010

to do or not to do!

I am pretty good about keeping my to-do list.  I highly recommend it if you want to accomplish a lot in your day and stay focused.  However, I am a people pleaser person.  I like to make others happy, sometimes at the cost of my own happiness.  So, I am trying to learn to say no occasionally.  I think a not to do list is a great idea! 

In my days of never saying no, I would often over schedule, be rushing around trying to get everything done for everyone else.  I was running kids around, volunteering, cooking, baking, making - whatever needed to be done and I was exhausted.  Brian pointed all this out to me and I began to try to say no.  This is not easy for me.  Seriously. 

But, since I started saying no or not-to-do, I am a happier person, the kids were seeing me more and we started having fun again!  I can't do it all, so why am I beating myself up over it? 

Our bodies need rest, recovery, down time, whatever you want to call it.  Our minds need a break from all the hustle and bustle.  I think I really did best when I took a day off from the tv, internet and just existed with the family.  What?  No email?  No facebook?  I thought I would go crazy the first couple of times I did this, but then it was so nice.  Then I got out of the habit. I may have to get back into it.  I want to live MY life, not watch it go by!

So, get out those journals, make your to-do list and make your not-to-do list as well.  Take a complete day of rest.  Enjoy the time with family and friends.  Take a break and give yourself a break! I think  you will be more productive for it!

Discussion:  are you a people pleaser too?  Have you found yourself in this situation?