Friday, August 12, 2011

It's Strawberry-licious!

I have been fortunate enough to have a copy of the California Strawberry Comission's latest cookbook.  I LOVE strawberries and this cookbook, Strawberry Recipes for Everyday, has given me some GREAT recipes and ideas!!!



I'm pretty sure that Strawberry Tostada's are going to be on MY plate soon!  I just have to get my hands on some jicama.   But talk about a refreshing meal....



Ingredients
2 1/2 cups (about 3/4 lb) fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
1/2 lb jicama, peeled and cut into 1/2 dice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp minced jalapeno peppers
2 tbsp lime juice
1 lb avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
salt
6 (6 inch) yellow corn tortillas
chili powder
6 tbsp crumbled queso fresco
6 cilantro sprigs
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges

Preparation
Heat oven to 400.  In a large bowl, mix together strawberries, jicama, cilantro, peppers and lime juice.  Add avocados, fold together gently.  Seasonw ith salt.  Arrange tortillas on oven rack in one layer.  Toast about 10 mins or until crips and starting to brown.  Mound 1 cup of strawberry mixture in center of each tortilla.  Sprinkle each tostada with chili powder  and 1 tbsp queso fresco.  Garnish with 1 cilantro sprig and lime wedge.

Nutrition Info:
Per Serving:
252 calories, 14 g fat, 5 mg cholestrerol, 63 mg sodium, 30 g carb, 8 g fiber and 5 g protein.

I'll be sure to post a photo when I find the jicama.  I've got two more stores to check.... then I may just have to sub in another ingredient or leave it out altogether.

There are so many wonderful recipes in this cookbook.   Roasted Pears with strawberry Relish, Strawberry shrimp Ceviche, Strawberry Shortcake Sliders,  Grilled Mahi-Mahi tacos with Strawberry Salsa, Strawberry Muddle Cocktails.  Good grief, I could go on all day long!

You will want to be sure to order your copy today!  You can get it sent to you or download it, so you have it right away!

Check out my delicious looking and tasting salad:

So, I in honor of Strawberry-liciousness, I made my favorite strawberry shakeology this morning!

 This cookbook is going to get a LOT of use!

Discussion:  Do you use fruit in non-traditional ways?  Such as strawberry nachos?  What is your best one?