Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Non-Toxic Cleaning!

So for the Cooking Challenge, I did something just a little bit different yesterday.

I was cleaning the duplex and there was a LOT of cool homemade recipes I saw on pinterest that I wanted to try.  So, I made them and then tried them out!!!!


Homemade Bleach
1 cup hydrogen peroxide (3%)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
15 cups water
mix all togther and put in spray bottle ( it will make a LOT).
Use within 1 month.

This worked really well.  I used it on the doors and baseboard.  The people that lived there were heavy smokers and all the doors were nasty.  I sprayed them down and then got to scrubbing.  The mix would run gold from all the nicotene.  Luckily, it worked great and the doors and baseboard are white again!

Tub Cleaner
1/2 cup vinegar (heated in a microwave for 90 seconds)
pour into spray bottle
Add 1/2 cup Dawn blue dishwashing soap
shake gently
Spray on the tub and let sit for 1-2 hours
wipe and rinse with water.

I let this sit for about 1 hour ( while I cleaned the doors) and then went in to wipe and rinse.  The first tub/shower came clean pretty easily.  The second one had a LOT of soap scum built up and it didn't clean as well.  I used a non-scratch scrubby and scrubbed the heck out of it, it still will need another round.  So, I got mixed results....

Wood Floor Cleaner/Shine
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
1 cup alcohol
2-3 drops dishwashing soap

Mix together and put in spray bottle.

I haven't used this one yet.  Ran out of time yesterday and will be going back to finish up on Thursday.  I'll let you know how it works.  I'm excited about this one, since I love my hardwood floors to be super shiny.  I just don't want to use all the chemicals it takes to get them that way!

These were all super easy to make and it didn't take any time at all.  I know that I'll be keeping the homemade bleach on hand for an everyday cleaner.

Do you have any homemade cleaner recipes you'd like to share?  Do you make things you find on pinterest?